Saturday 19 May 2012

Molly Cat is a Hunter

When Molly came to me, it was on the understanding that she was going to be a house cat. Her foster carer told me that she had shown no interest in going out. As her confidence has increased, however, she is showing ever more interest in outside and has become surprisingly good at scaring the pigeons off the terrace even from behind the glass (of which I totally approve). I am glad that I have decided to fence off part of the second terrace to give her some outside space.

In the meantime, however, we have those squeaky mice on poles and elastic. She will play for hours if I can be persuaded. She certainly gets more than an hour a day. We walk up and down with Molly stalking the mouse at my feet as I drag it along. When I stop and let it stray from next to me, she crouches down and does this funny wiggle with her back side as she prepares to pounce. Sometimes, I laugh out loud and she is put off and glares at me.

I suspect her to be very intelligent. She is clearly highly suspicious of the part I play in mouse moving about and looks at me as often as she looks at it until the very end. She has also started sniffing suspiciously at the elastic.

And she has formed a major attachment to my new shoes. I now have to put them away to stop her playing with them. My cleaner approves. I do not.

No comments:

Post a Comment