Saturday 5 May 2012

Another Lunch with my Brother



Those of you who are regulars will know that, last January, I met my brother and his wife for a last lunch before they emigrated to Canada. It was a deliberately unemotional lunch until we came to say goodbye; then both of us had moist eyes.

Today, my brother and I met at the same restaurant. He is over for a short time, and we agreed to meet for lunch. We both headed to London and met at our chosen restaurant. It was lovely to see him and to get a proper hug; somehow, FaceTime is not the same!

Lunch was wonderful: fun, entertaining, intimate. The conversation ranged widely as we sorted out the world. I was surprised to find how closely our politics matched. I was able to be absolutely honest about what is happening in my job, an unusual luxury. I learned things from him that I did not know about his life.

Saying goodbye was hard. He lives a long way away and I miss him. But today demonstrated conclusively that distance does not, in the end, make any difference. We are close and always will be.

No comments:

Post a Comment