Monday 25 June 2012

I am Shaking with Fright

Today, I decided that, having kept Molly indoors or on the 'safe' balcony for a month, it was time to introduce her to the other terrace. This is a long terrace, three floors up. Friends had said that I was being overly protective. Cats, they said, can cope with all that. They do not jump off terraces and kill themselves. I was sure that being able to sit out in the sun would be agreeable, so I poured myself a glass of wine, opened the door, and sat at the table. Molly followed, although rather suspiciously.

At first, all went well. She explored, stayed off the walls, came when I called her, sniffed at the plants and retreated into the flat regularly. I was happy. This was going to be a doodle, I thought. I could sit outside, with the door open, and she would wander in and out without any worries.

After a while, she got up on the garden table. I was less happy. It is an easy jump from there to the wall that has nothing between it and the ground. I watched carefully. She wandered, returned, jumped off again. I breathed a sigh of relief.

Two seconds later, she was on the edge of the wall. I was terrified. I did not want to go too near in case I frightened her into jumping. I tried calling her, but she was engrossed and uninterested in me. She wandered nonchalantly along the wall, occasionally leaning over with one paw poised. My blood pressure must have been about 700/500. I still have a headache. I was terrified.

She gradually meandered around the whole edge, before attempting to get on to the tiny rail above the glass. I could not take any more. I went forward and managed to grab her.

She is now very cross that she cannot go outside. And I think I may have a stroke or a heart attack tonight. If so, can somebody please look after Molly?

No comments:

Post a Comment