Thursday 21 June 2012

Industrial Action is Almost Impossible


As I said yesterday, I decided, after much soul searching, that I would participate in the day of action called by the BMA for today. I listened, in increasing despair, to the coverage on the Today Programme, with the biased reporting, the lack of evidence, the refusal to countenance that we might have a case. If anything, it increased my anger and determination.

As instructed, I presented myself at my usual place of work, determined to do only those things that were not urgent. But how do I assess urgent? I am a Public Health physician. I do not actually see patients. This afternoon we had the Individual Funding Request Panel, and I took the view from the start that attending that constituted the equivalent of urgent patient care for me. The problem was all the other things.

I have spent the rest of the day trying not to break the industrial action without being too idiotic about it. I have examined IFR requests that could be construed as having some urgency, but have left the cosmetic ones to next week; I have answered emails that might disadvantage patients if not sent, but have left the rest.

I am left with an overwhelming sense of futility. I do not believe that we have achieved anything today. The public will not understand, the government is intransigent and the impossible changes to the NHS continue. I despair at what I see as the wholesale destruction of what I hold very dear. And I continue to look for a job.

No comments:

Post a Comment