Saturday 16 June 2012

The Further Adventures of Molly the Cat

Dear patient friends, those of you still bothering to check my blog when I have been so silent, today I return to the subject of Molly. Do you remember the syndrome I identified some time ago of Inexperienced Cat Owner? Well, I can tell you, it is very real and very dangerous. Also, humiliating. You may recall that Molly and I were locked in a battle of wills about her litter tray. Although she would enter it to wee, she was leaving solid offerings all over the bathroom floor. I tried everything: vinegar on the carpet, strong detergent, many explanatory talks. Wise cat owners told me not to bother - I was going to lose. But I couldn't afford to lose this battle. Two days ago, I surrendered. We now have a new litter tray and different litter, and for the last two days all has been well. But, you see how pernicious is the inexperience? I am now not sure whether the litter, the tray or the combination was the problem. So tomorrow, we start experimenting again. Because, truth be told, the present combination does not please me at all. It goes all over the place and the bathroom is a constant mess. Added to which, the rather stylish hand held vacuum I bought for the specific purpose of clearing spilt litter is no use for this bigger variety. So far, therefore, I have a beautiful and expensive but useless cat carrier, which has been replaced by a cheap but functional version that I can drop her into from the top; many large bags of the World's Best Litter, which she won't use; collars, harnesses and seat belts she will not wear; expensive toys she turns her nose up at, only being interested in feathers on sticks and squeaky mice. I am thinking of writing a book: The Beginners Guide to Owning a Cat. That's after I've put all this stuff on eBay, of course.

No comments:

Post a Comment