Thursday 7 June 2012

My Girl Thursday

Once a week, a young A level student comes to help me with my post and my filing. She is extremely efficient and I am lucky to have her. She is bright, intelligent and obsessed with fashion - what 17 year old isn't? When I suggest that the bag she carries around is far too heavy and that a back pack would be less damaging, she snorts in derision: back packs are not fashionable. Despite my age, I can remember the reality of that.

My Girl Thursday is immensely reliable: she turns up, does all and more than I ask of her, and helps me with Molly Cat. I have never seen her without a smile. She also leaves me endless lists of things I must do, which takes a certain nerve.

So, is there a problem? Yes. I could have offered her minimum wage. She could have been virtually slave labour. This would have been grossly unfair, given her talents and personality. Yet there is nothing to stop this. Surely we ought to treat our young people properly when they serve us well?

No comments:

Post a Comment