Tuesday 25 February 2014

Today, I went to work in Slippers

Now, I never thought I would write that. It is, however, true. I may have mentioned that I have hurt my right foot. I'm not sure what I've done to it and, yes, I do know that I ought to see a doctor and get it sorted out, but, hey, I've got other things to do and it hasn't gone blue yet.

The pain comes and goes, and is largely manageable with a combination of Ibuprofen and Paracetomol. Until yesterday, there was one pair of shoes that I was able to squeeze into, albeit with some discomfort. Last night, however, I noticed a small lump/pimple/protuberance on the side of my foot. Hmm!

This morning, it was still there. It was no worse, it was no more painful, but it was there. 'Never mind' I thought, 'if it is infective, it should now start to get better'. I got dressed, prepared for work, sorted out my handbag, packed my lunch, all with my slippers on. Came the moment to change into shoes. My foot had other ideas.

Faced with a foot that resolutely refused to be squeezed into the shoe, I faced a dilemma. I could hobble perfectly well in slippers, but I could not move in a shoe. What to do? The only choices seemed to be me in slippers or no me at all. It seemed to me a no-brainer. I had back to back meetings. I gathered my stuff, said goodbye to Molly Cat and set off for work in my slippers.

I was surprised to discover that driving in slippers is really quite uncomfortable. They are too thin and do not give you enough purchase. However, I got there without mishap. Feeling very self-conscious, I headed for the door, and was joined by a colleague and friend. I immediately explained that I did not normally come to work in slippers. She said she would not have noticed and enquired further. Understanding that I was not sure if there was a broken bone there (it has been going on for over a week) and that I could not get into shoes, she was outraged. Why was I there, she demanded? Had I learned nothing? Why was I not looking after myself? I pleaded meetings, feeling rather foolish, and followed her into the building.

Our new offices are lovely, but they are open plan and I do not warrant my own desk, so I have to hot desk. I was looking for a suitable place to perch when the aforementioned colleague and friend called me over:
 "Come and sit next to me" she said.
"But that's not a Hot Desk" I replied.
"No, but she won't be in. You might as well".
I acquiesced, and walked across, enquiring as to the reason for our absent colleague. There was a rather smug look on her face as my friend and colleague replied:
"She has a broken bone in her foot. She's been signed off for four weeks to make sure she rests it properly".

Ouch. Well, I'm resting it in the evenings! And I will go to the doctor if it's no better by the weekend. Probably.

No comments:

Post a Comment