Friday 21 February 2014

Molly Cat is Pleased to See Me

This week, I had to spend three nights away from home. I left here at 1200 on Monday, and did not get back until early evening yesterday. Naturally, I was deeply concerned about Molly. I spent hours agonising over whether the Cattery or intermittent home visits were to be preferred, and eventually plumped for staying at home. The logistics were awesomely complicated, involving teams of individuals coming and going. My cleaner came three times a day (7, 11 and 6), my PA dropped in, friends were coerced into visits. Nevertheless, she was alone each night.

I fretted. The first night I barely slept. Nightmare scenarios kept presenting themselves. Each time I started to fall asleep, I thought I could hear her wailing and jerked awake. I could hardly wait until it was time to text my cleaner. Molly, you will not be surprised to hear, was fine. I calmed down a bit. Anyway, work was so intense that I had no time to worry, and I was so exhausted that I did sleep after that. Daily texts and phone calls kept me apprised of her health and wellbeing. Everybody at the Centre I was attending knew all the details. Each morning I was greeted with "How's Molly?" from a number of different people.

Yesterday, I came home. I was extremely fortunate, in that they let me go a little early (people are so KIND - they kept checking if I was alright - and it was nothing to do with Molly), so I arrived home soon after five. I turned the key in the lock and eased the door open, dragging case and handbag behind me. As I stepped into the hallway, there was Molly not, as usual, in her hammock, but standing in the middle of the hall. She stared at me. Did I discern a moment of disbelief? (Of course not - poetic/author/blogger licence). Then I was through the door and it was safely closed behind me. I reached for her. To my amazement, she let me pick her up. We had a lovely cuddle for at least five minutes. This is very unusual.

The evening was strange and lovely and comforting. She was clearly unsettled and rather miffed. However, she would not let me out of her sight. She wandered round me, her eyes fixed on me, but would only rarely get close enough for me to pet her, and that usually turned into her biting/scratching me. We repaired to bed early, very early. I watched a little television. She circled me, sometimes coming in to be stroked. She brought toys. We played. Eventually, I switched off the light and snuggled down to sleep. This is normally the time when she disappears to any one of the many sleeping places she has. Not last night. As soon as I was settled, she came and lay on my feet, and she did not move all night.

And today? She has barely let me out of her sight. Bless her. I think she missed me. She certainly wants to be part of this blog!!


No comments:

Post a Comment