Monday 3 March 2014

A GREAT DAY: LAST WEEK I GOT MY HAIR CUT!!

On Tuesday evening last week I left work and, for the first time in months, headed for the hair salon where lovely Becky sees to my hair. Why was this a red letter day? Why was I celebrating? Because I had not seen her since just before I started chemotherapy. Because for seven long months there has not been enough hair to cut. Because this was a milestone.

Six and a half months ago, on the 15th August to be precise, I started chemotherapy. Clearly, hair loss was one of the side effects that was discussed. I have talked in previous posts about how it affected me, and about the delights (not!) of the ice cap. Some people choose to shave their heads early in the process. That is what Michael, the wig person (see previous post), told me to do. I decided I was sticking with my own hair for as long as I could get away with it, grey hairs and all. However, I bought the wig, a number of hats and scarves, in order to be prepared. None of them has ever been used.

I am not sure whether it was inverted vanity, lack of caring, or the fact that I really did keep a lot of hair, but I never covered it up. There was always enough that it could pass for very wispy hair and, despite not being me at all, I decided that was enough. Added to that, of course, I wasn't going out very much, but even when I did, there was a certain pride in having my own, albeit depleted and horribly out of condition, hair.

Chemotherapy over, I expected it to grow back immediately. HUH, is all I can say. Weeks later, there were still wispy strands all over my head. However, two weeks ago, when combing said wispy locks, I noticed how long they had grown. Investigating further, there appeared to be a substantial crop of tiny hairs beginning to grow underneath. I hesitated, cogitated, ruminated. Then I rang and booked an appointment.

And it worked. Becky was wonderful, telling me she was amazed at how much hair I had and that I should be back to a full head of hair in a couple of months. When she had finished, she brought the mirror for me to see the back of my head. I could hardly believe it. It was certainly very short, but hair there was, all over my head. I was thrilled.

And now? Well, I think it looks rather good, and I have had lots of compliments, so I am delighted with the result. I am also delighted with the fact that it is apparently growing back largely in my original colour. We shall see. In any case, I do not appear to have turned into a blonde!

Molly sends her love.




No comments:

Post a Comment