Thursday 2 January 2014

Today was the first dose of Radiotherapy

An interesting experience, and one I found more challenging than I had expected.

My appointment was for 15.30 and they suggested I arrived fifteen minutes early. Parking is never easy on that site, so I decided to leave home at 14.15. The first challenge was what to wear. It looked cold outside, and I clearly needed to be able to display my top half. Trousers and jumper seemed in order, but it has been so long since I have worn anything other than a Kaftan that even that felt strange. Molly was asked, but did not vouchsafe an opinion.

Eventually, dressed and accessorised, I left for the hospital. I was lucky. A parking space became available within about five minutes, and I was able to sit in the car listening to the radio and relaxing for half an hour. This was A GOOD THING. Nevertheless, as I picked my way through the puddles to the entrance I was aware that I was more tense than I had expected to be. 'Why?', I asked myself. After all, nothing terrible was going to happen. Answer came there none, and I really do not know why I was so tense, but I certainly was. I was glad that I had taken my beloved iPad and so could play Sudoku while I waited.

They had said I would be in and out in fifteen minutes. Hmmm! This might be true on subsequent occasions, but today it took almost exactly an hour. It was nobody's fault: it's the system. But I do wonder if we could not simplify the system? It goes like this:


  1. Register and be shown to the waiting room. Sit and wait, with iPad, for about five minutes: very grateful that it happened so fast.
  2. Collected by charming radiographer who first asked to confirm all my details (name, address, etc.) then explained in exhaustive detail what was to happen. She also told me that I would be asked to confirm my details again. I wondered why, although I did not ask. Is it likely that somebody would take my place in the intervening few minutes? She also gave me my complete schedule for the next three weeks.
  3. Shown to a different waiting room. Resort to iPad again. Wait no more that ten minutes, then collected by a different charming radiographer. Shown to the 'Room'.
  4. He re-checked all my details (why?) then explained everything to me again (why?). Remember, I had already been through all this at the planning meeting. 
  5. I was helped on to the couch. It is not made for people like me. It is made for fit, lithe young things who are no bigger than a size 8. I struggled. They helped. Eventually, I was positioned. I felt like a lump of lard attached to a beached whale. Ah well - that's more or less how I look.
  6. Laser beams come at you and machines move around you. It is most interesting. I forbore to ask too many questions, but it really was fascinating.
  7. The actual thing takes about ten minutes and, provided you can lie flat on a narrow bed (which I can, once I'm on it!) there is no problem.
  8. They help you up and usher you out, with smiles all round.
And that, really, is it. I go back tomorrow for the next dose. I have checked the appointments and need to change some, but they tell me that should be possible. They are friendly, professional and positive. So why was I so exhausted when I got back? Goodness knows, but I think it will be easier tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment