Monday 27 January 2014

Today I finished Radiotherapy

Altogether a rather strange experience. I arrived, parked, walked in. I was very conscious it was my last time. I hoped certain people would be there - they were not. Ah well. I settled into the waiting room. There was a delay of about 45 minutes - very unusual. I hunkered down. Suddenly, they called my name. It would be quicker, they said, if they took me to a different room. I was surprised. The last time there had been a delay they had told me I could not go to a different room. I looked around for my known and trusted therapists: they weren't there. However, I had no reason to distrust these therapists. Obediently, I went to the different room, leaving the little gift I had brought with the therapists in my normal room.

I arrived at Room 4. It felt very different. Nevertheless, I trusted. I settled into a seat - for about 30 seconds. Nice radiotherapist I knew appeared and took me back to the original room. I admitted I had been surprised, since I had previously been told that no other room could treat me. "Quite" he said, quietly. So good to know that there are so many double checks. My trust increased.

Soon after I was called in, treated. Everybody was encouraging about the last treatment. I was given advice about the next few weeks (apparently I have to be careful, because the treatment keeps on working) and they checked that I had relevant appointments.

Suddenly, I was walking back to the car. I was done. Fried, basted, cooked. There was no more. Now, I just get on with my life. So be it. Molly and I have had a lovely evening, except that, sadly, she does not like champagne, so I could find no excuse to open it. She has shredded my hands, but we have had a good time.

We both send our love.

No comments:

Post a Comment