Friday 8 November 2013

The Compensations of being ill and the Advantages of Working from Home

Oh, there are so many. I could get soooo used to this. Admittedly, I am being rather self-indulgent with things like timings, so it feels even more relaxed, but the reality is that there are many actual advantages. I think I may try and maintain rather more home working when I am fully back. So, what are these advantages? Well, in no particular order (as they say on Strictly Come Dancing):




  1. Time: it is amazing how much more you fit in when you don't have to factor in travel time. Although I said that I was being more relaxed about timings, and I am, I can get through quite a lot in less time. Of course, at the moment my brain isn't up to much, but as that improves, I'm sure I shall be able to do lots more from here.
  2. Money: I cannot tell you what I am saving. No travel costs, no parking costs, no coffee/sandwiches/snacks, no taxis in London, no taxis in Leicester when I get there on the train and it is pouring with rain, etc. etc.
  3. Relaxation: it is so nice to be able to go and make a decent cup of my own coffee/tea when I fancy it, or to load the washing machine while making said coffee/tea. I can eat fruit all day without having to remember to take it with me. I can cuddle the cat when I need to think for a couple of minutes. I can play my favourite music (I am currently listening to Ashkenazy playing Chopin, an almost forgotten pleasure).
  4. Deliveries: no more worrying about when deliveries can arrive, because I am pretty much always here. If I do need to pop out for anything, I can arrange to do that when somebody else is here.
  5. Clothes: no worries about what to wear in the morning. I have discovered the kaftan look and now have a lovely set of kaftans in different colours which I rotate through on a daily basis. The summer ones have now been put away and I am curled up in fleece - it's lovely!
  6. Silence: the pleasure of being able to listen to the silence, to meditate, really to think, without constant interruptions. I have even learned to turn Radio 4 off in the morning, and the music off at any time if I need the silence.
  7. Internet shopping: OK, this goes against what I said about money, but I can tell you it is a drop in the ocean compared to what I spend going to work. And I am going to be so organised for Christmas this year. Also, mistaken impulse buys can easily (and for no charge) be sent back, so you can gets lots of stuff you know you won't keep and try them all on, eventually just choosing the best. And all in the comfort of your own home.
  8. Molly Cat: I love having her near me all day. She snores quite loudly when she is asleep, which I find endearing, amusing and relaxing.
  9. Visitors: the delights of lots of lovely, generous people coming to visit on a regular basis and giving me their time and their support. And they never seem to mind if I need suddenly to send them home because I am tired!
  10. Flowers: I thought, back in July when there were 17 vases of flowers in the house, that this could not possibly last and, of course, it hasn't, but I have not bought a single flower since all this started and never have less than two vases of flowers in the house. It is absolutely fabulous, and the sight of the delivery man (one of whom has taking to calling me petal) at the door never fails to bring a smile to my face.
  11. The down side: no theatres, concerts, cinemas, restaurants, other crowded spaces, because of the infection risk. However, of course this also saves money, so has an up side. 
So, you see, there are compensations to being ill and working from home. Can I have another six months recuperation please? No, I didn't think so.

No comments:

Post a Comment