Thursday 12 July 2012

Molly Cat Comes Home

Yesterday morning, I picked up Molly Cat from the Cattery. To be honest, I had been in text touch with the Cattery owner at least four times during my week in Malta to ensure that Molly was fine. I was assured that she had settled in well, was enjoying her cuddles, and following 'Aunty Linda' around at every opportunity. To say I was jealous would be over-stating the case, but I was bemused - she never did that with me. However, I was also relieved that she seemed happy and wasn't pining.

I arrived to pick her up at about 11 on a lovely sunny morning. Obviously, I had brought the sunshine with me, since the weather had been reportedly atrocious. Linda assured me that Molly had been happy, that she loved being cuddled, that she liked her treats. She sounded like a different cat. When we went to fetch her, she looked less than thrilled to see me. However, we got her into the carrier and I set off for home.

In the past, Molly had lain quietly in the carrier, almost asleep. Not this time. She was cross. She moaned and yowled. She made the same noise at me that she normally reserves for the pigeons on the terrace. She got more and more distressed. I almost turned the car around. Suddenly, I remembered that she liked music. I turned from Radio 4 to Radio 3 and she calmed down almost instantly. I heaved a sigh of relief.

Arriving home, she set off to explore again, as if re-discovering the place. Mindful of what Linda had said, I decided that I would give her the opportunity to come and be cuddled so, as I was sorting out my suitcase, I sat on the bed. Fairly soon she joined me. She did, indeed, enjoy a long cuddle. 'Right', I thought, 'it's the opportunity that she's been missing; less computer and more reading on the bed or the recliner'. So later, once the chores were completed, I took my book and settled on the recliner on 'Molly's' terrace. To my complete amazement, she soon joined me, sitting half between my legs and half on my stomach, only complaining when I stopped patting her with my free hand in order to turn a page. My new cat is a total delight. I suspect I may be doing more reading and less computer work in the forthcoming weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment