Sunday 13 October 2013

Molly Cat Doesn't "DO" Choice

Molly is a fussy eater. I may have mentioned this before? The only wet food she will reliably peck at is Felix. Unfortunately, Felix is made by Nestle. My cat and my principles in direct conflict. Of course, the cat won, but I continue to try to introduce other brands.

Two weeks ago I tried two new brands. Both came highly recommended. The "Book" [the cat equivalent of Dr. Spock] said that, if you are introducing new food, mix the old and the new. I tried this. Meal times became a complicated nightmare. There was a choice between fish and meat; a choice between Felix plus one or other of the new brands; a decision about how much to use. I was going demented. Molly kept picking and howling. However I  thought, on balance, that she was eating slightly more of the wet food. Was it possible that one or other found favour and, if so, how to know which? A brainwave struck.

Yesterday, I put down two quarter bowls of food: one of Felix, the other of one of the new ones. I labelled them (for me, not for her), and I walked away.

She howled for two hours. She would touch neither. I came close to succumbing, but I really do draw the line at throwing away that much good food. There was always the dry food. By this morning, she had picked at both but eaten neither. I admitted defeat, threw the rest away. Clearly, she does not approve of choice. From now on, she gets what she's given. If she doesn't like it, she can eat the dry food.

ARE ALL CATS THIS DIFFICULT?

No comments:

Post a Comment