Sunday 5 February 2012


Could I be growing old?


Now, there’s a question. How to answer it? Of course, in one sense, there is no doubt – we are all growing older by the second. But are we growing OLD? That, it seems to me, is a far more difficult question. What is ‘old’ exactly? What do we mean by it? 

It seems to me that there are different types of ‘getting old’. In the chronological sense clearly I am ‘older’, in terms of how long I have lived on this earth, than I was yesterday, and considerably ‘older’ than I was in infancy. But does this matter a jot? Except that I have now reached the stage when I must, rationally, be past the mid point of my life, it seems of remarkably little importance.

Emotional: this, it seems to me, is variable. Some people are still emotionally toddlers when they are in their late middle age. I like to think that I’ve at least achieved the emotional maturity of a teenager, but who knows? I’m certainly not as mature as I’d like to be. Perhaps I ought to make this a question in my next 360?

To me, the important thing is whether I am getting mentally old. One often hears the view expressed that ‘I don’t feel any different from when I was 25’. I remember my mother saying it, and thinking she had to be joking. I’ve even said it myself, because in one sense it is true. I quite often forget how old I am and think that I can still do all the things I used to do – like staying up till 4a.m. and then getting up for work. My body soon made it clear that this is no longer an option.

This introspection has been caused by my current obsession with the Health and Social Care Bill. I realised that my anger and frustration had, perversely, given me a new lease of life. That going on demonstrations, which I had thought long behind me, was energising. That I was suddenly able to stay up, if not till 4, then certainly till 2, writing emails and blogs, and still be up earlier for work than was my norm, so that I could get everything fitted in.

So today, no, I don’t think I’m growing old, although I am unquestionably older. Of course, if we lose the fight to save the NHS, I might just end up in my dotage. Alternatively, I might find another way to fight for the NHS. Judicial Review anyone?

No comments:

Post a Comment