Tuesday 27 August 2013

I Can't Afford to go to Work

I Can't Afford to go to Work


I have now been off work for almost two months. At first, it felt really strange. After a while, I started to enjoy the life, despite the reason and the niggling worries, and the side effects and ..... 

It took a little while to realise that I was suddenly accumulating money. This seemed very strange. Why did I seem to have more money OFF work than when I was attending regularly, working sixteen hour days, seven day weeks? surely there was some mistake?

I have said before that my brain is not up to much at the moment. It took me quite a long time to work it out. The reasons, as far as I can ascertain them, are:

  1. Petrol: I'm not using any!
  2. Snacks/lunches/coffee: I'm not buying any!
  3. Trains: I'm not travelling, so the fact that I forget to claim my expenses and, anyway, never claim them all, is not eating into my bank balance.
  4. Taxis: I am not taking any (I sometimes do at work if I am running late or feeling idle, and I never charge work for those)
  5. Parking: I am not parking in places that charge me e.g. hospitals.
Now, I can see that some of this is my fault, and that I need to get much better at taking all my own food and claiming everything that I spend but, to be honest, that takes so long, and is so tedious, that even after this revelation it is unlikely to happen. It seems to me a little unfortunate that it actually costs me so much to go to work. I must admit to feeling rather hard done by that my hard-earned dosh (and it is hard-earned - I work many more hours than I am paid for) should go to subsidising work. I don't want to sound like a scrounger, but I think I may be a little more careful in future. After all, when I get into debt, I have to pay the interest rates. From here on in, I'm not prepared to do that. Sorry all.

No comments:

Post a Comment