Tuesday 21 August 2012

Why Doesn't the Technology Work?

So, today I was doing a second induction day for our new registrars. Last night, I carefully went through my presentation, added some slides, removed others. I was really quite pleased with it. I ensured it was saved in the Cloud so that I could access it from anywhere - I have learned that encrypted sticks are not happy with Apple and I am not happy with anything else.

This morning was a bit of a nightmare. A couple of important phone calls delayed me. I always cut it fine [waking early is not my strong suit] so the delay meant I was late. I rang through, said I would be there soon. Everything seemed against me - the traffic was terrible. Eventually I arrived. The registrars were kind - they did not complain. I plugged my MacBook Air into the overhead projector. Nothing. The screen remained resolutely blank. I pushed buttons at random: nothing changed. I waggled the wires: nothing changed. I thought calming thoughts: nothing changed. Eventually, I took a deep breath, disconnected everything, and started again. Miraculously, something appeared on the screen. We were in business.

The basic presentation went well, but please can somebody explain to me why, when I tried to project a website, the computer resolutely projected something that was not on my screen at all? I am genuinely interested. Please, what did I do wrong? Why did the technology not work? I really tried. I know I'm a technological idiot, but I didn't think that it was that complicated. PLEASE HELP.

No comments:

Post a Comment